This teacher training course certified by the University of Barcelona will focus on disseminating the history and memory of the Nazi concentration camps through a didactic approach. The seminar will address the case studies of the memory sites of Dachau and Mauthausen-Gusen Concentration Camps, which are considered paradigmatic spaces in the fields of heritage, tourism and education. Organized in collaboration with the Institute of Professional Development (IDP- ICE) of the University of Barcelona.
- October 19 – Session 1: The rise of Nazism and consolidation of its concentration system: history and memory of the Dachau camp
- October 20 – Session 2: The heritage and educational projection of the Dachau Memorial.
- October 26 – Session 3: Deportation, forced labor and extermination: history and memory of the Gusen and Mauthausen concentration camps.
- October 27 – Session 4: The heritage and educational projection of the Mauthausen Memorial.
The four sessions will be delivered in Spanish, and the registration period is open until October 15, 2023.
• Review the historical keys to the concentration camp universe of Nazi Germany through the cases of Dachau and Mauthasen-Gusen.
• Reflect on the relationship between the rise of National Socialism in Germany and the formulation of a repressive strategy aimed at extermination.
• Contextualize the history and memory of the Spanish Republican exile within the repressive and exterminating strategy of Nazism in Europe.
• Observe the particularities of the memorialization process of the Dachau, Mauthausen and Gusen concentration camps.
• Get to know the museum approach and the didactic projection of the Dachau Memorial and the Mauthausen Memorial.
• Generate a space of knowledge and reflection for teaching practice in the area of the historical memory of the Nazi concentration camps.
• Make the different educational strategies and activities promoted by the Dachau Memorial and the Mauthausen Memorial available to Catalan teachers.
• Promote the development of educational activities linked to the memory of the Nazi concentration camps.
• Bring the latest pedagogical debates on the memory of the Nazi concentration camps closer to teachers in Catalonia.
Each session is structured in the same way. In the first part, an expert will give a specific presentation where the topics related to the structure of the session will be touched upon. In the second part, the person moderating the session will coordinate the debate and reflections, raising the depth of some of the topics discussed during the presentation, and giving way to relevant questions and reflections by the participants.
Taking advantage of the inputs received throughout the course, each participant will have to complete an exercise in which they will propose a work prior to a hypothetical school visit to one of the two memorials.
Secondary school teachers, Baccalaureate teachers, and other educational agents.
- David González Vázquez (PhD, project manager at the EUROM)
- Patricia Prieto Soto (Dachau Memorial)
- Christian Dürr (Mauthausen Memorial)
Calendar and schedule
From 16:00 CEST to 17:45 CEST
- Session 1: Thursday 19 October
- Session 2: Friday, October 20
- Session 3: Thursday, October 26
- Session 4: Friday, October 27
Certification: 20 hours, considering 7 hours attendance at online sessions and 13 hours of independent work
This activity is co-financed by the European Commission and for its evaluation we kindly ask your collaboration in filling out this survey. It will take about 10 minutes, and you will need the information indicated below. Thank you very much!
- Reference of the Project: 101104202
- Kind of activity: Training
- Title: Current Perspectives on Memory
- Date of the activity: 19/10/2023
- Duration of the event in days: 4
- Online event