In 2016, the Solidarity Foundation of the University of Barcelona turns 20 years of commitment to peace and human rights. The anniversary will be commemorated on September 29 at the historic building of the University of Barcelona with three round tables on the Balkan wars, the conflict in Colombia and the crisis of refugees.
The Balkan wars, the conflict in Colombia and the crisis of refugees from different countries (Syria, Iraq, Palestine, Sudan and others) are the three themes that will be addressed by the participants in 45 minutes round tables. These international issues have been largely addressed by the Foundation during the last 20 years. Among others, the event will count with speeches by Manel Vila, General Director of Cooperation for Development of Catalonia’s Government; Pere Vilanova, Professor of Political Science at the University of Barcelona; Dolors Camats, in charge of the reconstruction project of the University of Pristina (Kosovo); Manuel Ramiro, director of the Institute of Intercultural Studies of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana of Cali (Colombia) and David Bondia, professor of International Law at the University of Barcelona.
The rector of the University fo Barcelona, Dídac Ramírez, will open the ceremony, which will also count with the presence of the Vice President of Students in 1996, Miquel Martinez; the current Vice President of Administration and Organization, Carme Panchón, and the director of the UB Solidarity Foundation, Xavier López.
The Solidarity Foundation of the University of Barcelona was created in 1996 by initiative of the Foundation Món 3 and the University of Barcelona with the aim of applying the policy of development and cooperation at the University, and to promote human rights and social action within the framework of social responsibility. The European Observatory on Memories (EUROM) is one of the current projects driven by the Foundation.
- Dídac Ramírez, Rector of the University fo Barcelona
- Joan Coromines, Chairman of the Social Council
- Carles Martí, ex-chairman of the Internationals Relations’ Office
18:00 The Balkans’ Wars: what we thought that would never happen again in Europe.
- Manel Vila, ex-manager of Districte XI – Sarajevo. Barcelona City Council
- Pere Vilanova, professor of Politics at the University of Barcelona
- Dolors Camats, ex-responsable for the project of reconstruction of the University of Pristinë
18:30 Colòmbia, the eternal conflicts: the ones we thought would never be solved
- Manuel Ramiro, director of the Institute of Intercultural Studies of the University Javeriana of Calí
- David Bondia, professor of International Public Law at the University of Barcelona and chairman of the Institute of Human Rights of Catalonia
19: 00 Siria, Irak, Palestina, Afghanistan , Yemen, Sudan… the “refugees crisis”
- Carles Campuzano, chairman of ACSAR (Catalan Association of Support and Help to Refugees)
- Eva Granados, former coordinator of the Solidarity Observatory of the FSUB
- Cati Jerez, coordinator of the program of support to refugee students of the University of Barcelona
- Miquel Martínez, vice rector of Students (1996)
- Carme Panchón, vice rector of Administration and Organization (2016)
- Xavier López, director of the Solidarity Foundation of the University of Barcelona